Yesterday was the 95th anniversary of the birth of Richard Feynman, one of the greatest scientists of the 20th century. An unusual excuse for a party
Tonight Chris Riley BBC2 show a documentary about a remarkable man, Richard Feynman. Yesterday, on the 95th anniversary of the birth of Feynman, Riley showed some clips and discussed the program, and the man, with Robin Ince, Christopher Sykes and public Bloomsbury Theatre. Feynman Sykes met several times and has made three films with him, starting with "The pleasure of finding things." Sykes wanted Riley said he met Feynman. I felt the same.
There were two events in the Bloomsbury organized by Ince. In the afternoon, discussion with Riley and Sykes, plus a conversation to me, and by the end of science, music and comedy show. Robin excels in putting them together, whether in the cause of libel reform, Mayan prophecies or just Christmas.
I will not say that the show last night (as it was myself at the end, I missed a lot of nails biting into the green room and try to get more Cup England). However, the little that I saw correctly, Tamsin Edwards analyzed the scientific evidence that it is, in fact, Feynman, so why all models are wrong (but not all as bad ...). With Petrie sang a new song based on Feynman wrote a letter to his first wife, Arline, after his death. I found it very moving, do not consider the possibility of Tom and Andrew Pontzen Whyntie make me laugh a lot after. But yes, a lot. And the aurora borealis Greta Santagata stress that accompanies the depth added by Lucie Green was the perfect finish of the first half. Sister Joan Feynman success is an astrophysicist who has made progress in understanding the dawn (and, by convention, not his brother to study the phenomenon.)
- gave a talk in the second half. I tried to explain the link between the bumps on the evidence that we have discovered a Higgs boson Feynman diagrams we use to predict these data. A bit of a challenge for me as a Saturday night (or afternoon) the public, you might think. And you would be right. I'm not sure it worked, but had Whyntie Pontzen and clearly demonstrated the principle of least action, but people seemed to enjoy and I'll probably have a go at writing some future time.
- Whyntie, Pontzen and I took our copies of the Feynman Lectures on stage with us. It is essential reading for me as a student, and still should be for someone who studies physics. However, they were written in the sixties (when Peter Higgs wrote his famous article, in fact), even though they contain a lot of great ideas that will easily stand the test of time, you probably do not contain Not all physical. The discovery of the Higgs boson is just one example of the vast amount of new knowledge, as they were written.
"What was my most embarrassing moment? When I wet on stage
when you were happy?
What is your first memory?
What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?
What is the trait you most deplore in others?
What was your most embarrassing moment
What do you like about your appearance?
What would your costume of choice?
Who would play you in the movie of your life?
What is your most disgusting habit?
What is your favorite smell?
- first smell of spring and the faces of my children.
They help to collect taxes, to promote tourism and protect the environment, but animals in Japan can not escape controversy
is a true household name in a country where celebrities are ten a penny. Her cheeks are pink and unreadable expression on hundreds of products, candy and snacks rice bags, stationery and toys -. Part of a business portfolio worth ? 30 billion last year almost
Not bad for a black teddy bear with a playful series, which has grown from its humble beginnings to promote a new season of high-speed train in southern Japan to become the animal Company quintessential country.
Kumamon - a combination of the words home Kumamoto prefecture and the local pronunciation of my, or "things" - has built a following to rival that of his compatriot and Paddington bear cub since he was called to animal the most popular pet in Japan two years ago.
He is the undisputed king of single characters or yuru Kyara - National Fraternity about 1000 different animals that bring a touch of whimsy to the serious business of tax collection and preservation of the environment, spots promoting tourism and regional specialties.
Prince Pickles is animated face of Japan Self-Defense Forces, while Pipo-kun is the Tokyo Metropolitan Police. Eeta-kun, whose head looks like a computer screen, encourages people to file their taxes online.
The Liberal Democratic Party plans to release animals government of Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and Party Secretary General Shigeru Ishiba in the electorate before the elections to the upper chamber this summer.
bad behavior among Japanese animal has ever equaled the infamous altercation between Wolfie and the Three Little Pigs in Bristol City v Wolves football match at the end of 1990, but even cuter yuru Kyara was involved in controversy.
spare a thought for Pluto-kun, or Little Mr. Pluto, which appeared in the mid-1990s, to soften the image of plutonium for the nuclear industry in Japan.
With her angelic face and a green helmet with the chemical symbol for plutonium, Pluto-kun fell out of favor after visiting one in which a child who downs a glass of educational animation plutonium, no apparent sequelae.
- Even pets are mixed in milder circles have become the target of public criticism.
The Cut, Halesworth
lively, original voices are rare in the conformity of the time. But Thomas Eccleshare, whose ministry is one of five new jobs in the core of the HighTide party this year in the city of Suffolk Halesworth, has a peculiarity. He took the well-known impending ecological disaster and treated as black, surreal comedy theme.
Anna Calder-Marshall played with impassive hilarity, an old girl named Moll who is reluctant to leave his apartment, despite worrying signs: Vol panic in the city, the army in the streets and Nature becomes mad, reeds and wild mushrooms bursting through the pavement and voles seen leaving Paperchase. In Michael's extraordinary design, furniture and floors collapsing and oak comes crashing through the window. But as England comes to a virgin forest and Moll is abandoned by his son and two of their neighbors, which is based in the company of a strange boy named Beau legendary Arthur.
- theater usually means no fun. But what is his game Eccleshare refreshing mixture of the apocalyptic and the profane: bear may be roaming the land, but the man gets past Ocado. There is even something strangely moving on the idea that Eccleshare merry Moll Arthur Calder-Marshall and participation of young Polly part of your last cigarette, the old and the young can make common cause crisis ahead. We had good plays and bad environmental disaster. But this one, directed by Steve Marmion chip and then move into the room Soho is the first I've seen that made me laugh.
What have you gone to see lately? Tell us on Twitter using # GdnReview
- ▼ May (5)
- ► 2012 (480)
- ► 2011 (633)